Pages

Saturday, September 15, 2012

TODAY Articles: 4 Players from Each Position

So in the past five days, TODAY published articles on Top picks from each position from myself & TODAY editors. Let's take a look back & analyse each of our choices.


TFLTalk picks: Vorm, Cech, Howard, Hart
TODAY picks: Vorm, Foster, Szczesny, Hart

I do rate Foster as a Top 10 pick, though not as a Top 4 pick in terms of either overall score (which Hart will lead) or a valued selection (which Vorm is a better pick).

With Mannone performing admirably between the post in the past 2 games, Szczesny might not be a confirmed starter throughout the season. Could this be another De Gea-Lindegaard situation? I guess tonight's game against Southampton could give us some indication on the goalkeeper's status.



TFLTalk picks: Kompany, Vidic, Vermaelen, Vertonghen
TODAY picks: McAuley, Reid, Vermaelen, Hangeland

The article states "Top picks for the season", hence I went with the priciest picks. As seen from  last season's top centrebacks, 5 of the Top 6 players are from Manchester. The expensive players looks to be a poor choice, but based on previous experience, Clean Sheets will usually be plentiful during mid-season.

Even though McAuley and Reid are good picks based on current fixtures, in the long run they might be able to make it to Top 20...but they're not a Top 4 pick.

Hangeland was in my initial list of picks, but with Dembele's departure & Jol's change in Fulham's strategy makes me wonder if this will be a transition season for Fulham.

& yes, I've chosen 3 Belgium Centrebacks. Only realized that after it was published. :P



Fullbacks
TFLTalk picks: Baines, Evra, A.Cole, G.Johnson
TODAY picks: Baines, Rangel, BAE, Ivanovic

I had a tough time deciding between Rangel & G.Johnson, but I kinda predicted TODAY would be picking Rangel, hence I went with an alternative pick of G.Johnson. Both players should finish with similar points by the end of the season.

I've explained my logic on selecting A.Cole instead of Ivanovic. However, based on OPTA statistics last season, Ivanovic was a greater goal threat than A.Cole despite having less gametime. With yet another goal during the internationals, I have to concede that I may have selected the wrong fullback.

If I were to pick a Tottenham fullback, I'll go with Kyle Walker instead, who is more likely to cut into the penalty area leading to a scoring opportunity than BAE.



TFLTalk picks: Michu, Silva, Cazorla, Fellaini
TODAY picks: N.Dyer, Y.Toure, Cazorla, Fellaini
As David Ngiau mentioned, picking either Swansea midfielder (Michu or N.Dyer) is good for the long run, which I have no arguments about.

For Silva vs Y.Toure, based on OPTA statistics, he created 4 clear chances for Man City, and the average position map shows that he was the further midfielder on the pitch, hence I believe that his form will return before December.

Anyone else besides me secretly rooting for Lampard to outscore Y.Toure, so that we can see David Ngiau eat his shorts? :P


Strikers
TFLTalk picks: RVP, Tevez, Hazard, Lambert
TODAY picks: RVP, Tevez, Hazard, Graham
It's pretty much a no-brainer when it comes to strikers selection, eh? Wait till Aguero & Rooney recovers from their injuries to throw some spanner in our thoughts.

I'm picking Rickie Lambert to be this year's surprise package from the promoted teams, and will have a similar impact to last season's Danny Graham & Grant Holt.

Speaking of Graham, he isn't a bad choice, just that he's being outshine by the midfield trio of Michu, Dyer & Routledge. His shooting accuracy % and chances per game is similar to last season, so fantasy managers who have him will need to be patient to reap the rewards.



Well, that's it for the pre-TFL season articles. I hope you have found this blog & my Today articles useful in selecting your initial team. Do follow me on Twitter (@TFLTalk) for quicker personal opinions & updates, and join my TFLTalk League (PIN: 28330) in one of the largest and most competitive private league in Today Fantasy League.

Thank you, and good luck for the season ahead! HUAT AH!!!!


0 comments:

Post a Comment